Friday, July 27, 2007

You know you've been watching too much "Hell's Kitchen" when ...

I was out the other night for a job candidate dinner at The Casbah, one of my favourite St. John's restaurants. My usual habit is to order their steak specials -- they do beef very well there, especially the tenderloin. The special that night was a NY striploin with cracked black pepper. I ordered it rare ... and it came medium! I was rather disappointed. I wasn't, in that context, about to send it back, but I kept having Gordon Ramsay flashes ... imagining taking it back to the kitchen screaming "You fucking DONUT! Is this rare?" And so on.

I might have to stop watching that show. Food and rage have never been conflated for me, until now.

It WOULD have been funny, though.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Actually, that clip from No Reservations where she comes out and says "rare enough for you?" flashed in my head when I read that.

But really, is it so hard to ask for something and actually get it? Especially in a restaurant. And with steak. It's not like chicken, where they have to cook it, you expect your steak cooked a certain way. Sheesh.

Ok that makes me sound old.

queen B said...

Julia would have cooked your steak perfectly. Waffle House forever!

GRrrr never fails to amuse me with gems like, "Looks like baby vomit. Tastes like f&cking Bovril." and "Boiled! Boiled! Boiled! DONKEY!"

*Sigh!* I even love the bacon-like waves of his furrowed brow...