Thursday, September 14, 2006

Hair watch: Day 14

It has now been fourteen days since my ill-advised encounter with the electric clippers, and slowly but slowly life returns to the scorched earth.

Exactly half the time I see myself, I kind of like the look; the other half I wonder what the hell I was thinking. Usually that's entirely dependent on what kind of light I find myself in. The hair above my temples is somwhat thinner than on the rest of my head -- give it another couple of years and I'll have a pretty good widow's peak happening -- but as a result, under certain lights at certain angles, the hair forward of the crown of my head seems to disappear, and so sometimes I catch jarring glimpses of a person who looks like me but is bald from the forehead to the crown.

Someone posting anonymously said "The new buzz makes you look less intimidating and gives you a softening effect." I'm thankful for the sentiment, but I honestly don't see it. I find quite the opposite effect -- I look tougher and harsher, and look for crude self-administered tattoos. On the other hand, the comparison to the older brother on Prison Break was quite flattering.

You can't see it in this picture, but there is a visible line in my hair that runs between my temples over the crown of my head like a flightplan over the Arctic. This disturbs me. It's as if, seeing the thinning over my temples, the rest of my hair has dug a fire trench to forestall further losses.

Coming soon -- Hair Watch Day 28!

7 comments:

Dale Kirby said...

One of the Alien sequels comes to mind. Just kidding :)

Anonymous said...

I gotta say I think it looks good... although, as Sean commented on the first picture you put up, you two have never looked so alike. So maybe it's just that I've been watching him shave his head constantly for the last 2 years... which, I might remind everyone, only started after his stint as Dogberry...

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting how much our hair contributes to our perception of ourselves? Having a less-than-perfect haircut is rather humbling, no?

Humbling :: softening. Perhaps.

Lesley said...

Fire trench, now that's funny. Honestly, quit stressing, it looks fine!

Anonymous said...

Compare your picture with that of the luxuriantly befoliaged Tucker Carlson beneath it. Which of these individuals looks like an idiot? It's not the one with the buzz cut.

Anonymous said...

I like it too. it stays. i think it'll only get better over the next couple of weeks when you can shag it up a bit with some Got2B creme pommade (the purple kind). that stuff rocks!

Patti said...

Have just spent the last several hours reading your blog. Thoroughly enjoyed it! I've been offered a job in St. John's and my way of getting familiar with a place is to read the blogs of people from that place. It was great finding a blog of someone in a similar position as I may be about to be in. Would love to read an essay of your overall impressions and opinions of the place, its people and the "culture shock" (if any) of moving there from "Upper Canada". Slainte!