Sunday, January 08, 2006

Back on the Rock

Well, it is good to be home ... nice to feel like I'm getting back in a rhythm of things, and nice to know tomorrow I'll be in front of the classroom again. I've been working today on class prep ... getting the lectures together, and giving myself a schedule of work for the next few weeks. I love this deep breath moment, and the sense of having things mapped out. Of course, that maybe lasts a week before my carefully parcelled packages of time are all jumbled together in something resembling fractal geometry, but it still feels good to have a plan.

That, plus New Year's resolutions. I actually have some this year, not the least of which is to get back into shape and fit back into a disturbing number of pairs of pants that are too snug now to be comfortable (which is a euphemism meaning I can barely get them buttoned. Oh, beer, look what thou hast wrought).

And after three weeks away, it's also good to be back with the cat, who is currently making me suffer for my absence. He doesn't leave me along. It's been like a feline love-fest since I returned, punctuated by the occasional burst of petulance (i.e. tiger-like attack from behind a chair) to remind me of my perfidy. That, plus reproachful endless miaows whenever I'm otherwise occupied (such as now).

So, happy 2006 ...

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Ah, dude, what happened to my "holy crap" email? I assume there is still snow in Newfie-ville? Or has it all melted away?

Chris in NF said...

Sorry to disappoint, but we have the barest dusting at the moment. Though it's below zero today, it's been generally wet and drizzly since I returned. For what it's worth, I'm told this is unusual ...